The Capital of Connemara
Clifden is a small town in the north west of the County Galway in West Ireland. It is a local hub of commerce for Connemara, and retains a lot of authenticity despite it being bombarded by tourists in the summer. It has numerous hotels, pubs and restaurants, as well as good bus routes to Galway, and local villages. This makes it quite a good starting point for an exploration of the surrounding areas.
What to see
Take the Beach Road and do a beautiful walk passing Clifden Bay, the beach and D'Arcy's castle and take a trip to the old Marconi Station and Alcock and Browne historical Monument sites.
Connemara National Park - situated near Letterfrack, the Park covers some 2,000 hectares of scenic countryside, rich in wildlife on the slopes of the Twelve Bens. Attractions include exhibitions, nature trails, audio-visual show. In addition there is a summer programme of walks, talks and special events for younger visitors. Access for visitors with disabilities in the Visitor Centre.
Derrygimla Bog - site of the Alcock & Brown trans Atlantic landing. On Sunday June 14th 1919, the first transatlantic flight ended in the Derrygimla Bog, about two miles from Ballyconneely Village. Capt. John Alcock and Arthur Whitten Brown had flown their Vickers Vimy plane from Newfoundland, Canada, in just over sixteen hours. Alcock and Brown, both British, experienced extreme flying conditions - fog, drizzle and a broken radio.
The Twelve Bens - or Twelve Pins (Irish: Na Beanna Beola), is a mountain range of sharp-peaked quartzite ranges located northeast of Roundstone in Connemara in the west of Ireland. Dedicated fell runners attempt to hike all twelve peaks in a single day.
Inishbofin - (derived from the Irish Inis Bó Finne meaning 'Island of the White Cow') is a small island off the coast of Connemara, County Galway, Ireland. Inishbofin has around 160 inhabitants and is a popular tourist destination.
Slyne Head Lighthouse - is located at westernmost point of County Galway, about 12 kilometres (7 mi) southwest of Doonlaughan, Ireland and is maintained by Commissioners of Irish Lights (CIL). There were two lighthouses on this point built in 1836 but only the West one remains active.